UCI Law’s New Fair Elections and Free Speech Center
The University of California, Irvine School of Law has launched the Fair Elections and Free Speech Center. Dedicated to “advancing an understanding of, and offering means to counter, threats to the stability and legitimacy of democratic governments exacerbated by the unregulated growth of digital media and other technological changes in mass communication,” the Center will be co-directed by ALI member Richard L. Hasen of UCI Law. Hasen served as Adviser for ALI's Principles of Election Administration.
“American democracy is under increasing strain, and the 2020 Election exacerbated threats to the rule of law and to public confidence in fair elections,” said Hasen. “Much of that is thanks to the rise of social media. The new Center will look at what’s wrong, and what can be done, to strengthen democratic institutions in the U.S. and around the world.”
The Center will host speaker series, conferences, and discussions. Upcoming events include:
- September 1, 2021: Part one of the “Global Elections” lunch series on disinformation, digital media, and& worldwide threats to fair elections and open debate
- September 9, 2021: “Is the U.S. Constitution Up to the Task of Preserving American Democracy?”
- September 24, 2021: An online conference “Election Subversion: Is American Democracy in Danger?”
A number of ALI members are serving on the advisory board. They are featured below.
Learn more about the Fair Elections and Free Speech Center on their website.
- . @michelebgoodwin gave the keynote speech at @ACLU_SoCal 2022 Advocates For Justice awards, which honors firms and… https://t.co/n7bn91aQBW@AmLawInstJun 22
- Speaker videos from the 2022 Annual Meeting are now available: https://t.co/BaPpLNzcOohttps://t.co/4v5XxJLv6g@AmLawInstJun 16
- Kermit Roosevelt III @pennlaw has authored ‘The Nation That Never Was, Reconstructing America’s Story,’ discussing… https://t.co/bIPyOHyOgc@AmLawInstJun 16
- . @POTUS has nominated Roopali H. Desai @CBLawyersAZ to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.… https://t.co/EKPaxD4JqH@AmLawInstJun 15
- Danielle Citron @uvalaw and Neil M. Richards of @WashULaw were panelists in the @theNASEM workshop ‘Location Data i… https://t.co/8dRwS8PbnH@AmLawInstJun 15