UCI Law’s New Fair Elections and Free Speech Center
The University of California, Irvine School of Law has launched the Fair Elections and Free Speech Center. Dedicated to “advancing an understanding of, and offering means to counter, threats to the stability and legitimacy of democratic governments exacerbated by the unregulated growth of digital media and other technological changes in mass communication,” the Center will be co-directed by ALI member Richard L. Hasen of UCI Law. Hasen served as Adviser for ALI's Principles of Election Administration.
“American democracy is under increasing strain, and the 2020 Election exacerbated threats to the rule of law and to public confidence in fair elections,” said Hasen. “Much of that is thanks to the rise of social media. The new Center will look at what’s wrong, and what can be done, to strengthen democratic institutions in the U.S. and around the world.”
The Center will host speaker series, conferences, and discussions. Upcoming events include:
- September 1, 2021: Part one of the “Global Elections” lunch series on disinformation, digital media, and& worldwide threats to fair elections and open debate
- September 9, 2021: “Is the U.S. Constitution Up to the Task of Preserving American Democracy?”
- September 24, 2021: An online conference “Election Subversion: Is American Democracy in Danger?”
A number of ALI members are serving on the advisory board. They are featured below.
Learn more about the Fair Elections and Free Speech Center on their website.
- Today's ALI Council meeting includes project discussions on Model Penal Code: Sexual Assault, Policing, Property,… https://t.co/usrEXqSOHJ@AmLawInstJan 20
- M. Elizabeth Magill has been nominated as the ninth president of @penn. A full vote on Magill’s nomination will tak… https://t.co/ZFtjJhNPAp@AmLawInstJan 20
- Norman M. Powell @YoungConaway has accepted an invitation to join the TriBar Opinion Committee, which prepares repo… https://t.co/wzWZ9vVzsj@AmLawInstJan 19
- . @UVALaw Karsh Institute announced its inaugural advisory board, led by dean @RisaGoluboff. ALI members on the advi… https://t.co/UQ7MYmBKW6@AmLawInstJan 18
- Paul L. Friedman @DC_Courts will receive the Edwin F. Jaeckle Award, given to an individual who exemplifies the hig… https://t.co/3NwZqqNf90@AmLawInstJan 14