The Supreme Court in American Life: Current Assessment and Looking Ahead
On Oct. 26, the Cosmos Club hosted an event which featured Paul L. Friedman of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and Thomas C. Goldstein of Goldstein & Russell in conversation on the Supreme Court of the United States. Judge Friedman and Mr. Goldstein, along with the other participants, discussed the Court’s members, influence, and future.
The Cosmos Club, incorporated in 1878, is a private social club for women and men distinguished in science, literature, the arts, a learned profession, or public service. The Club is noted for its camaraderie and atmosphere of warmth, dignity, and elegance.
From the event description:
The Supreme Court is constantly scrutinized, is frequently in the news and is regularly controversial. This has never been more true than in 2020. The pandemic has brought live audio streaming of oral arguments and questions posed by every justice – notably including Justice Clarence Thomas. The recent death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the Republicans’ efforts to confirm a replacement before the presidential election has heightened attention on the Court in an America that is deeply divided.
With that backdrop, the distinguished panel of Paul L. Friedman (’94), Catherine Stetson, Thomas Che Goldstein and Ruth Marcus, presenting different perspectives, will provide insights on the current state of the Supreme Court and what might lie ahead.
- Sudha Setty @WNEULaw has been elected to serve on the @ABAesq Legal Education Police Practices Consortium Advisory… https://t.co/A8PD9k3BJJ@AmLawInstNov 30
- ALI Director Richard L. Revesz tops the list of most cited tenured law faculty in the U.S. in the areas of administ… https://t.co/s7MxPBvNcQ@AmLawInstNov 24
- Last week marked the end of our fall project meeting season, with 8 Restatement and Principles project meetings and… https://t.co/kwI93vNC0a@AmLawInstNov 23
- ALI President David F. Levi has announced his retirement from director of @BolchJudicial at Duke Law School, effect… https://t.co/k8oAq4PggF@AmLawInstNov 23
- Most lawyers remember the Restatements of Contracts from law school but do not realize the depth of the body of wor… https://t.co/qVHM0edQPt@AmLawInstNov 22