‘Law as Reproduction and Revolution’
Bryant G. Garth of UC Irvine School of Law has co-authored Law as Reproduction and Revolution, an analysis of the influence the United States has had on legal revolutions around the world and an examination of law and social change from the Middle Ages to the present.
This sweeping book details the extent to which the legal revolution emanating from the US has transformed legal hierarchies of power across the globe, while also analyzing the conjoined global histories of law and social change from the Middle Ages to today. It examines the global proliferation of large corporate law firms—a US invention—along with US legal education approaches geared toward those corporate law firms. This neoliberal-inspired revolution attacks complacent legal oligarchies in the name of America-inspired modernism. Drawing on the combined histories of the legal profession, imperial transformations, and the enduring and conservative role of cosmopolitan elites at the top of legal hierarchies, the book details case studies in India, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, and China to explain how interconnected legal histories are stories of both revolution and reproduction. Theoretically and methodologically ambitious, it offers a wholly new approach to studying interrelated fields across time and geographies.
- M. Margaret McKeown @US9thCircuit received the 2022 @InnsOfCourt Professionalism Award for the Ninth Circuit. The a… https://t.co/mrJerSUIhf@AmLawInstAug 12
- Anita L. Allen @pennlaw and Matthew L.M. Fletcher @UMichLaw have been elected to @AmPhilSociety.… https://t.co/jGIDsNAwCe@AmLawInstAug 11
- . @uarizonalaw has created the Robert H. Mundheim Professorship of Law and Business, an endowed professorship to hon… https://t.co/ngP2XZI1B0@AmLawInstAug 10
- Palmer Gene Vance II @skofirm is chair of @ABAhod, the policymaking body of the American Bar Association. He will s… https://t.co/gZGBnyfULs@AmLawInstAug 9
- Paul B. Stephan @pbstephan3 was interviewed for an article in @rollcall where he discussed the constitutionality ar… https://t.co/AEFwGGKWrP@AmLawInstAug 5