Jill Horwitz to Serve as Faculty Director of New UCLA Law Nonprofits Program
Devoted to research, training, and policy in the evolving area of law and society, UCLA School of Law has established the Program on Philanthropy and Nonprofits. Jill R. Horwitz of UCLA Law, Reporter for Restatement of the Law, Charitable Nonprofit Organizations, will serve as the program’s inaugural faculty director.
“The nonprofit sector is undergoing an epochal shift, and lawyers will be at the center of this transformation,” said Horwitz, “UCLA Law and the Lowell Milken Institute now have the opportunity to lead the way in this especially relevant area.”
Residing in the Lowell Milken Institute for Business Law and Policy (LMI), the program will build on the business and philanthropy work of LMI’s founder and serve UCLA Law students and stakeholders in the nonprofit sector – practitioners, donors, regulators, and the operators of nonprofits.
The program will have three initial goals:
- Become a research center that develops and shares scholarship and knowledge on issues relating to nonprofits, including tax policy, governance, and the role of nonprofits in developing and promoting social policies. This goal will provide resources to a wide range of participants in the nonprofit sector, including policymakers, regulators, lawyers, and senior managers of nonprofits.
- Develop and expand education at UCLA Law for students, lawyers, directors, and senior managers of nonprofits on issues that are central to nonprofit operations, financial management, and governance.
- Support thought leadership on legal issues material to nonprofits so that the program serves as an important resource for the operation and governance of nonprofits and as a venue to bring together practitioners, scholars, and regulators.
Learn more about the program here.
- Roberta Liebenberg of Fine, Kaplan and Black received the 2023 Learned Hand Award from the Philadelphia/Southern Ne… https://t.co/3WYFqKUKVY@AmLawInstMar 24
- Happening tomorrow: The American Law Institute, @SouthwesternLaw Review, and Southwestern’s Panish Civil Justice Pr… https://t.co/mimpg7o1Ir@AmLawInstMar 23
- Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr., will receive the Henry J. Friendly Medal at The American Law Institute’s Annual… https://t.co/klYRvvNAL4@AmLawInstMar 21
- . @IntlWomenJudges received the 2023 Bolch Prize for the Rule of Law from @BolchJudicial. A number of ALI members sp… https://t.co/XSlJSOqsxR@AmLawInstMar 20
- Walter A. Effross @AUWCL has authored ‘Keeping Your Own Counsel,’ a book for law school students on how to navigate… https://t.co/gCOjjxg248@AmLawInstMar 17