Nicholas Wittner on Class Actions and Economic Loss Increase
According to ALI member Professor Nicholas Wittner of Michigan State University College of Law, the number of products liability claims involving personal injury allegations may have declined, but the number of products-related class action lawsuits filed by consumers claiming economic loss is on the rise. He states that corporate legal compliance programs work to make the laws better for consumers and easier for manufacturers to comply.
“They are essential to promote safety and help avoid civil and criminal penalties, as well as reduce the potential for product liability risk. That importance is underscored by the new project by the American Law Institute to prepare Principles of the Law: Corporate Compliance and Enforcement,” Wittner said.
"That project will provide assistance to corporations and other entities who are either establishing or evaluating the adequacy of existing compliance programs."
Professor Wittner is an Adviser on the Restatement of the Law, The Law of American Indians project, and he is also on the Members Consultative Group for several other ALI projects, including the Principles of the Law, Compliance, Enforcement, and Risk Management for Corporations, Nonprofits and Other Organizations project.
Read full article here.
- Robert H. Mundheim @ShearmanLaw received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University of Arizona James E.… https://t.co/YkNyeG5DNC@AmLawInstJun 13
- Stephen Vladeck @UTexasLaw has authored ‘The Shadow Docket: How the Supreme Court Uses Stealth Rules to Amass Power… https://t.co/vW64EBhRDX@AmLawInstJun 9
- . @BatesCollege has announced Garry W. Jenkins as its next president. https://t.co/K0D70H1Y1Dhttps://t.co/13lQcm6idXhttps://t.co/rUhvR8H24H@AmLawInstJun 7
- OIRA Administrator and former ALI Director Richard L. Revesz was profiled by @nytimes on his recent position and wo… https://t.co/HtuNPkklzz@AmLawInstJun 1
- David D. Meyer has been chosen as the new President and Joseph Crea Dean of @brooklynlaw. https://t.co/tB0SRzO2Fi… https://t.co/lNHi0uFrUp@AmLawInstMay 30