Restatements as a Source of Common Law
In his July speech before the Judicial Institute of Hong Kong, Robert S. French focused upon the work of ALI and its Restatements, and their relevance to the work of the courts in Hong Kong.
Judge French began by reflecting on the history of Hong Kong as a common law jurisdiction. He then noted that although other common law jurisdictions may have important doctrinal differences, they can still be looked to as an intellectual resource when appropriate.
In addition to looking at the common law of England, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, the former Chief Justice of Australia encouraged the judiciary to also refer to U.S. common law, highlighting ALI and its Restatements as a valuable common law resource.
Judge French noted that Restatements can be used as an exercise in comparative law to learn the state of U.S. law, and accept or distinguish as inapplicable to a particular case or circumstance. He then outlined how Restatements come together.
"When hundreds of members of the ALI gather together in Washington to consider Drafts of Restatements and other ALI project documents, emphatic and forceful opinions are often expressed from the floor. Some of them lead to minor adjustments to a Draft. Others may lead to more extensive reconsideration."
He further noted that, in the wake of the rising tensions in American politics and political leadership, ALI continues the historical practice of volunteerism and public good.
"As a member of the ALI from outside the United States I found the process to be very impressive — a demonstration of American civil society at its best bringing together disparate views and interest-based perspectives in the pursuit of an overarching public interest."
Judge French is a Non-Permanent Judge on the Hong Kong Court of Final Appeal and adjunct professor at the Univeristy of Western Australia Law School.
- Sudha Setty @WNEULaw has been elected to serve on the @ABAesq Legal Education Police Practices Consortium Advisory… https://t.co/A8PD9k3BJJ@AmLawInstNov 30
- ALI Director Richard L. Revesz tops the list of most cited tenured law faculty in the U.S. in the areas of administ… https://t.co/s7MxPBvNcQ@AmLawInstNov 24
- Last week marked the end of our fall project meeting season, with 8 Restatement and Principles project meetings and… https://t.co/kwI93vNC0a@AmLawInstNov 23
- ALI President David F. Levi has announced his retirement from director of @BolchJudicial at Duke Law School, effect… https://t.co/k8oAq4PggF@AmLawInstNov 23
- Most lawyers remember the Restatements of Contracts from law school but do not realize the depth of the body of wor… https://t.co/qVHM0edQPt@AmLawInstNov 22