American Academy in Berlin Establishes Gerhard Casper Fellowship
The American Academy in Berlin has announced the establishment of the Gerhard Casper Fellowship in honor of his lifelong commitment to academic excellence and scholarly research.
“For the American Academy, Gerhard Casper has been the indispensable man,” said Academy president Daniel Benjamin. “We have benefitted so much from Gerhard’s wisdom and leadership over the years. I am really delighted that there will be a fellowship in his name.”
Professor Casper served as the President of the American Academy in Berlin from July 2015 to July 2016. He is President Emeritus of Stanford University, and a Professor of Law Emeritus at Stanford Law School. A lifelong leader in academia and an esteemed scholar of constitutional law, he served as Stanford University’s president from 1992 to 2000. Before joining Stanford, Professor Casper was a longtime faculty member at the University of Chicago, where he served as provost of the University, dean of the law school, and a professor of law. He began his career as a professor of political science at the University of California at Berkeley.
Professor Casper was elected to the ALI in 1977 and was elected to the Council in 1980. He took Emeritus status in 2010 and recently served as an Adviser for Principles of the Law of Charitable Nonprofit Organizations.
In 2014, ALI presented Professor Casper with the Distinguished Service Award, which given from time to time to a member who over many years has played a major role in the Institute, accepting significant burdens as an officer, Council member, committee chair, or project participant and helping keep the Institute on a steady course. Below is a video of that presentation.
- . @rickhasen appeared on the @ConstitutionCtr podcast ‘We The People’ to discuss three election law cases and their… https://t.co/D8BCXEaRPB@AmLawInstJun 27
- . @michelebgoodwin gave the keynote speech at @ACLU_SoCal 2022 Advocates For Justice awards, which honors firms and… https://t.co/n7bn91aQBW@AmLawInstJun 22
- Speaker videos from the 2022 Annual Meeting are now available: https://t.co/BaPpLNzcOohttps://t.co/4v5XxJLv6g@AmLawInstJun 16
- Kermit Roosevelt III @pennlaw has authored ‘The Nation That Never Was, Reconstructing America’s Story,’ discussing… https://t.co/bIPyOHyOgc@AmLawInstJun 16
- . @POTUS has nominated Roopali H. Desai @CBLawyersAZ to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.… https://t.co/EKPaxD4JqH@AmLawInstJun 15